ICBS (International Congress of Bengal Studies)
Bengal Studies has a vibrant existence with scholars from different academic disciplines engaged in teaching, research and publishing in various areas of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences. They are working from various centres situated in Bangladesh, India, and, other countries. As the discipline evolves, there is a need of professional platform for regular interaction between these scholars, a mechanism for disseminating information about the activities of different centres of teaching and research, and referred journals to publish the best research.
The idea of forming a common platform for scholars of Bengal Studies took shape through multi-phased interaction between scholars of Bengali Language, Literature and Culture. It was initiated during a seminar on Buddhadeb Basu at Assam University, Silchar. Some of the participants of that seminar met on 13th November, 2008, to give a formal shape to the idea of holding Antarjatik Banglabidya Sammelan on regular basis. This was followed by another meeting of leading scholars of Bengali and other disciplines from various Universities of Bangladesh held on 17th June, 2009, at the University of Dhaka, Bangladesh. The decision to expand the scope of the intended organization from Bengali Studies to Bengal Studies was proposed in that meeting.
- As an outcome of such interactions, the 1st International Congress of Bengal Studies was organized by the Department of Modern Indian Languages and Literary Studies, University of Delhi, India, during 25th – 28th February, 2010, with Prof. Hayat Mamud, renowned litterateur, former professor of Jahangirnagar University, Bangladesh, and Fellow of the Bangla Academy, Dhaka, as the Academic President and Dr. Amitava Chakraborty as the Convener.
- On the concluding day of the Congress, 28th February, 2010, International Society of Bengal Studies was formed as a platform of Bengal Studies scholars to organize International Congress of Bengal Studies in collaboration with academic institutions at regular intervals and to take up other projects such as creation of a Bengal Studies Database, publication of refereed journal etc.
- The 2nd International Congress of Bengal Studies was organized by the University of Dhaka and Bangla Academy, Dhaka, during 17th – 20th December, 2011, with Prof. Anisuzzaman, Emeritus Professor, University of Dhaka, as the Academic President and Prof. Rafiqueullah Khan as the Convener.
- The 3rd International Congress of Bengal Studies was organized at the University of Calcutta, Kolkata, during 19th – 22nd November, 2013, with Prof. Alokranjan Dashgupta, renowned poet and Professor of Bengali, Heidelberg University, Germany, as the Academic President and Prof. Sucharita Bandyopadhyay as the Convener.
- The 4th International Congress of Bengal Studies was hosted by the Tokyo University of Foreign Studies, Japan, during 11th – 13th December, 2015 with Prof. Pabitra Sarkar, former Professor of Bengali, and former Vice Chancellor of the Rabindra Bharati University, India, as the Academic President, Prof. Masayuki Usuda as the Convener and Prof. Shinkichi Taniguchi as the Secretary General.
- The 5th International Congress of Bengal Studies was hosted by the Jahangirnagar University, Dhaka, Bangladesh, during 25th – 28th January, 2018, with Prof. Rafiqul Islam, former Professor of Bengali in the University of Dhaka and former Vice-Chancellor of the University of Liberal Arts, Bangladesh, as the Academic President and Prof. Khaled Hossain as the Convener.